Earlier I posted what several large restaurant companies and independent restaurateurs were predicting the hot trends for the upcoming year would be. I wanted to add another viewpoint from the people who will actually be doing the cooking had to say…Here are what my professional colleagues in the kitchen are predicting as the new trends driving 2011:
The Top 20 Trends for 2011
- Locally sourced meats and seafood
- Locally grown produce
- Nutritionally balanced children’s dishes
- “Hyper local,” such as restaurants with their own gardens and chefs who do their own butchering.
- Children’s nutrition
- Sustainable seafood
- Gluten-free food and being food allergy conscious
- Simplicity/back to basics
- Farm/estate-branded ingredients
- Micro-distilled/artisan liquor
- Locally produced wine and beer
- Smaller portions for smaller prices
- Organic produce
- “Culinary” cocktails, for example ones that have savory or fresh ingredients
- Newly fabricated cuts of meat such as the pork flat iron and the beef petit tender
- Fruit and vegetables as children’s side items
- Ethnic-inspired breakfast items, such as Asian-flavored syrups, chorizo scrambled eggs and coconut milk pancakes
- Artisan cheeses
As evidenced by the increased awareness of Social Media, over half of the chefs surveyed indicated that they were planning on focusing much more on this hot area of marketing for their business.
Should be an interesting year!